[Fixed] Cannot paint closed region

Improve VPaint or VGC software by giving your feedback, reporting bugs, or suggesting new features.
Boris
Site Admin

Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:17 pm

How to reproduce:
1. Open attached file
2. Select paint tool (F3)
3. Move cursor inside what seems to be a closed contour
4. Click to paint

What happens: it paints the background
Expected behaviour: Create a new face
Attachments
regionCantPaint.vec
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

lablanu

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Was caused by an edge with one vertex(ID: 43), could be solved by disallowing the creation of such edges.
I have attached the fixed file.
Attachments
regionCantPaint_fix.vec
(15.84 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

Boris
Site Admin

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:02 am

Nice, thx! So it seems a lot of bugs are caused by eges with such a degenerated geometry. The issue with those is that tangents are ill-defined. I will have a careful look over these for Beta 4.

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am

Fixed for VPaint 1.0 beta 4.

borhani59

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:13 pm

this is very need. sometimes in fast and busy files i see joints but cant fill it usual.

some of regions are union paint and some of them dont let to fill ...

but after some move and configur point i can fill ...

fill is a basic needs in your app Boris. it should works 100% ... even may need to add autoweld or mesh cleaner commands
... artists are not cad-dibaggers ... they see with them eyes ... you are a artist and should sometimes forgot developping state.

i agree to simple UI until all off our needs replied ... if we have new need ... may have new tool or at least new hidden process.
thanks ...
this is biggest error until now ... coloring is too fun and may extend more and more

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:48 am

Yes, I totally agree that filling is a very basic need for VPaint and one of the most important feature. Reason one I provided it, even though it is not perfect yet.

Unfortunately, because in VPaint curves and painted areas are allowed to overlap, filling is an open research problem (no algorithm exist yet) which is really hard to solve. Improving this tool will be one of my top priorities for future releases of VPaint, but it will probably never be perfect (some cases are ambiguous).