Inkscape(like) drawing interface possible?

Improve VPaint or VGC software by giving your feedback, reporting bugs, or suggesting new features.
bartovan

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:09 am

@yai, are you discussing your attempts on the Inkscape forum (or any other Inkscape related forum)?
I'm not a programmer but a very interested Inkscape user, I'd be interested and happy to participate (from the standpoint of user experience) in your attempts to tacking animation onto Inkscape...

yai

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Boris wrote:Thanks for all these links, I'll have a look!
This must be one of the only forums where I don't get filtered or banned for having so many links in a first post. :)

That's some very interesting insight on copyleft in the industry. I don't know about the first two examples but selling to more than a handful of people does seem compelling.

I just installed VPaint (from AUR) and it went very smoothly (no custom commands needed at all). Going to try it now.
bartovan wrote:@yai, are you discussing your attempts on the Inkscape forum (or any other Inkscape related forum)?
I'm not a programmer but a very interested Inkscape user, I'd be interested and happy to participate (from the standpoint of user experience) in your attempts to tacking animation onto Inkscape...
I haven't really posted about it anywhere. I'm not too sure what to say. This is my only post on the Inkscape forums (they were extremely helpful).

This is mostly made for my own use (that I'm happy to distribute and possibly modify with feedback). So a user's perspective would be great! What are some animations you've made before? I couldn't find any on the site you linked to. And what operating system are you using?

bartovan

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:43 pm

yai wrote: This is mostly made for my own use (that I'm happy to distribute and possibly modify with feedback). So a user's perspective would be great! What are some animations you've made before? I couldn't find any on the site you linked to. And what operating system are you using?
I personally haven't made (at least not finished) any animations since I'm waiting for the perfect interface :) Needs to be vector, and needs to be tacked onto Inkscape. Closest is Synfig Studio but I just can't get into their user interface... For the moment I just make drawings. But a lot of vectorians out there and especially Inkscapers would love to have an animation feature (maybe extension) in Inkscape, I think. I'm sure that if you would start a thread proposing what you already have and asking for feedback/help in testing/specific help with programming problems... you'ld get more than sufficient return to keep you busy for a while.
If it's tacked onto Inkscape I'ld be very glad to use it, test it and give y user feedback, in any stage. (Should be not too difficult to install and uninstall however, if possible. I can do some command line stuff and all but I'm not a Linux guru and hate my Linux to get unusable because of too many manipulations I don't understand).
I'm using Inkscape on Ubuntu 15.04 at home and Win 7 at work...

yai

Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 pm

bartovan wrote: I personally haven't made (at least not finished) any animations since I'm waiting for the perfect interface :) Needs to be vector, and needs to be tacked onto Inkscape. Closest is Synfig Studio but I just can't get into their user interface... For the moment I just make drawings. But a lot of vectorians out there and especially Inkscapers would love to have an animation feature (maybe extension) in Inkscape, I think. I'm sure that if you would start a thread proposing what you already have and asking for feedback/help in testing/specific help with programming problems... you'ld get more than sufficient return to keep you busy for a while.
If it's tacked onto Inkscape I'ld be very glad to use it, test it and give y user feedback, in any stage. (Should be not too difficult to install and uninstall however, if possible. I can do some command line stuff and all but I'm not a Linux guru and hate my Linux to get unusable because of too many manipulations I don't understand).
I'm using Inkscape on Ubuntu 15.04 at home and Win 7 at work...
Heh, time is always a bit of an issue with me but since its not getting any better, I guess I might as well announce it to more people. Maybe I'll post something tomorrow on the Inkscape forums (although I'm also considering end of next week when I'm more available...). We can probably continue this chat there.

Usually, its just a binary that doesn't install and a command to run it. Installing should just be unzipping files and uninstalling should just be deleting them. Although some people might not like doing stuff by hand this way.

It is indeed a sort of extension but extensions need to be allow access to more of Inkscape first. So right now it needs a modified Inkscape (that's why there are two links: the first is the modified Inkscape, the second is an extension of sort to be used with that version).

The program is also unfortunately pretty unstable (I'll partly explain why that is in my post) so putting it somewhere premanant is probably a bad idea. In contrast, VPaint is very stable.

If there is a lot of request for the same system, I can probably to generate a binary myself (or someone in the crowd will be able to).

For Linux, I already built versions for Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 back then. I'm thinking newer versions shouldn't be much trouble.

For Windows, I have managed to build it on some version of Windows (Vista and/or Windows Server 2008 I think). But compiling I haven't tried compiling the new version of the program based on Inkscape 0.91 yet.