Erase Function

Improve VPaint or VGC software by giving your feedback, reporting bugs, or suggesting new features.
Fred Sprinkle

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Maybe I am missing this as well, but an erase pen would be great!

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 pm

This one is a hard one unfortunately, vector graphics is not very adapted to implement an eraser. An easy implemetation would be to delete every object touched by the mouse, but this would generally delete much more than what you want to erase. Unless you'd be happy with this already?

Anything that would behave like an actual eraser (like in raster graphics apps, e.g., Photoshop) is very hard to implement and will probably not be done in the short term (but I'm definitely for it in the long term, it's just technically very hard and I think there are more useful areas to work on first).

I hope this give you some context! :-)

Fred Sprinkle

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Ah yes, that makes sense.

I wonder if a lasso kind of tool that would create a new point and highlight the line up to that point would do the trick. Then you could delete it.

Also I have to use cmd+X to delete. Perhaps this is intentional.

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 am

Yes, a feature as you describe (let's call it "cut-select") could be a mid-term solution, but even this is not completely trivial to implement (it's easier, though, since technically, it's almost equivalent to the sketch tool with intersections enabled). But it's not clear where to put that in the interface: we should be careful not to bloat the interface with too many obscure icons. Especially the toolbar on the left, I'd like to keep this as minimalist as possible, so that easy things are still easy to do even for first time users who haven't read any documentation.

Concerning the delete, if you're on Mac, try Fn+Backspace to do "Delete". I'd have to make the backspace key work as well, but I failed in my previous attempts, I think it's a bug of Qt (a library I use). If you're not on Mac, I don't know what could be the issue. :-/

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 am.