[Feature request] Background image

Improve VPaint or VGC software by giving your feedback, reporting bugs, or suggesting new features.
cyartist

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Nice software great job!!

Could you add a menu and function to import a background image for tracing. Very important feature as many artist like myself like to trace over our rough sketches.
If you add this feature it would be great for Vpaint!

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi,

Thx for your interest :-) Good suggestion, I take good note of it. I will probably add this in a future release, but not for VPaint 1.0 where I mostly focus on making it stable, or improve the basic interaction.

Boris

heeb

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi Boris,

First of all, thanks for this amazing piece of software! Very, very promising indeed.

In a slightly similar vein to the question here (with which I agree: we need background images):

Would it be possible to display a background grid? With adjustable height / width, of course.

I'm specifically asking because I have relatives who work with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadlight , and VPaint would seem to quite suitable for that!

But for that kind of work, I think a grid would be needed.

Keep up the amazing work!!!

Thanks again,

Matthijs.

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi Matthijs,

Thx for sharing your use case for VPaint, indeed, it seems quite suitable to design lead lights!

Yes, your request seems very reasonable, it's standard, easy to implement, and useful, I'll definitely do that :)

Cheers!

heeb

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:33 am

Awesome!

In the meantime, I'll be using VPaint, collect any issues I might find, and I will report them to you!

One thing I noticed is that closing VPaint doesn't result in the usual "Do you want to save your work?", with the obligatory Yes, No and Cancel. It just closes, and the user will lose their work...

No other issues detected yet!

Awesome :-)

Boris
Site Admin

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:23 pm

Thx!

Yes, I need to do this "save on close" feature, I even have a comment about this in the source code ;-)

heeb

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Or, as an alternative, an "open where left off" feature.
Some continuous save feature, where the user doesn't need to bother about saving / opening at all.

knacki

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:37 am

Good point!
As Vpaint strength is animation, some movie formats for rotoscoping would be lovely too.
mov, mp4, avi something like this.

heeb

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:36 pm

knacki wrote:Good point!
As Vpaint strength is animation, some movie formats for rotoscoping would be lovely too.
mov, mp4, avi something like this.
Excellent point.

I think both animation AND the drawing tools are strong points.

In other words, this could be THE tool for both.

So much potential!!!

:-)

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 am

Yes, thx for all the inputs! These are definitely features that I'd love to see in VPaint, and I woudn't release VPaint 2.0 without them. I definitely want to support rotoscoping as a use case of VPaint. Actually, it was historically the starting point of VPaint (see my master's thesis: http://www.dalboris.com/research/master-thesis/), but it has drifted quite a bit ;-)