Questions about future versions of vpaint

Improve VPaint or VGC software by giving your feedback, reporting bugs, or suggesting new features.
爪哇程序猿

Sun May 08, 2016 11:09 am

Hi, Mr Boris, this is another open source animation software, dragon bones episode (early by the Adobe open source project, then only as flash Pro plug-in, now has become a independent program)! But I don't know what this software is to keep the open source licenses. Opentoonz also grid deformation features, even I doubt dragon bones episode opentoonz as reference. Because before toonz not open source, dragon bones episode also does not have this function.

爪哇程序猿

Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Mr Boris, I want to ask is, vpaint development will be possible in the direction of the 2.5 D (just like anime studio)? Or only focus on the 2 D animation? :)

Boris
Site Admin

Wed May 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Unfortunately no, I am not planning in going in this direction, and prefer to focus on pure 2D animation. The reason is that 2.5D techniques would be hard to integrate in VPaint due to its rather complicated data structure.

爪哇程序猿

Wed May 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Mr Boris, I saw you the release of information (information about you to pixar, wish you a pleasant journey), while the current vpaint version (the amazing technology) enough to make I groped in animation production for a while, but I still hope that the next version has derived the function of video, or I want to ask is: under the MIT license do you have any similar ffmpeg transcoding tool, and the possibility of a built-in vpaint :)

Boris
Site Admin

Wed May 25, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi! Sorry, this answer is a bit long. ;-)

Short version:

Good news! As long as VPaint is free, it seems I can ship a GPL version of FFmpeg+x264 alongside VPaint, and call it from within VPaint without legal issues: I can keep VPaint under the MIT license, and I don't have to pay royalty fees to MPEG LA for distributing a H.264 encoder. I will try to do this in the near future (e.g., VPaint 1.8 or 1.9).

Long/technical version:

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice)

Legal issues for video encoding/decoding (and especially H.264/AVC which is probably the codec users would want) are unfortunately complex. There are two issues:

1) Source code license of the transcoder (e.g.: FFmpeg without x264 is LPGL, but x264 is available only under the GPL, or a commercial license)
2) Patent royalty fees (charged by MPEG LA)

Regarding point 1), no MIT-compatible H.264 transcoders seem to exist, and I do not have the resources to write my own. However, it seems okay to ship a FFmpeg+x264 binary under the GPL alongside VPaint, and only call it as an external program from within VPaint. As long as VPaint does not *link* to it, this seems tolerated by the GPL. Even more so if VPaint is distributed for free. If I ever distribute a commercial "VPaint Pro" version (which may or may not happen depending on where life takes me, but in any case would be cheap, and an open-source version would still exist), then it is probably still tolerated, though it would be fair in this case to pay the x264 commercial license (I do not know the amount). In any case, I should contact http://x264licensing.com/contact for more info.

Regarding point 2), as long as VPaint is distributed for free, then there is no patent fees to pay to MPEG LA for distributing a FFmpeg+x264 binary like this. If I ever distribute a commercial "VPaint Pro" version with H.264 encoding capabilities (e.g, via FFmpeg+x264), then as far as I understand, here are the royalty fees that I should pay to MPEG LA, according to http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/avc ... avcweb.pdf :

- No royalty for less than 100,000 VPaint copies/year sold
- $0.20 per copy after first 100,000 copies/year
- $0.10 per copy after above 5 million copies/year (with a cap of $9.75M per year)

So this is quite reasonable anyway.

爪哇程序猿

Thu May 26, 2016 5:42 am

Thank you, Mr. Boris, for your patience and a detailed response. I like the technology used by this software, as you say vpaint refactoring, so the more important features of the 1.7 are stable? :)In addition, you said is feasible, because I used to try toon boom animation software (concrete is toonboom harmony, or toonboom animate, and version number I can't remember), found in its installation directory ffmpeg file,

Boris
Site Admin

Fri May 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the info! If Toon Boom does it this way, surely that sounds like a good approach for VPaint. :) Though, ToonBoom may be paying the license fees for a commercial license of x264.

爪哇程序猿

Sat May 28, 2016 3:32 am

MHCP5NJ{22C[9(F_@1T$_6X.png
MHCP5NJ{22C[9(F_@1T$_6X.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Mr Boris, I need to bother you again, I would like to ask, can vpaint color graphics drawing directly? Pure color graphics, or can directly map the structure line, can determine the structure line is pure color graphics or normal drawing mode. :)

爪哇程序猿

Sat May 28, 2016 10:50 am

Mr. Boris, I saw you for vpaint perfect plan, of course here is advice or assumption, because everybody cannot expect after the occurrence of, just if which day you see this post, inspiration of his masterpiece! My suggestion is that if you have the opportunity to increase the IK skeleton and the like, you can increase the deformation on the basis of the skeleton (triangular mesh deformation, or DBBS curve surface technology). Image mosaic effect, color gradient curve. I was a little excited, of course, this is just a hypothesis, I just think vpaint is too flexible, see your demo animation, very excited. :D
The users from China, your fans wish you happy every day.
Best regards!吴滨 :mrgreen:

Boris
Site Admin

Sat May 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi 吴滨,

I am sorry, I am afraid that I do not understand your first question. Can you explain what you mean by "color graphics"? If you want to paint an area (with the paint bucket), VPaint requires to have a well defined cycle of "edges" connected to one another.

Regarding your second message: yes, there are many technologies that would be awesome in VPaint! :) By, DDBS, do you mean Disk and Ball B-Spline, as in http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/camtech/cag/cag_proj.htm ? I just looked for DBBS on Google as I did not know this before. Seems interesting! Unfortunately a lot of good research from China does not have enough exposure in Western countries. :-/