Unable to install/run VPaint on Kubuntu 16.04

Improve VPaint or VGC software by giving your feedback, reporting bugs, or suggesting new features.
cameralibre

Sun May 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi, I have been trying to install and run VPaint on Linux, following the two methods described on the website - using QtCreator I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Starting /home/sam/vpaint/build-VPaint-Desktop-Debug/Gui/VPaint...
The program has unexpectedly finished.
/home/sam/vpaint/build-VPaint-Desktop-Debug/Gui/VPaint crashed
Here's the GDB output: http://pastebin.com/XLzunJZY

and launching the binary (I don't know which dependencies I should be installing?) I get:

./vpaint-1-6-linux-64bit 
[1]    8083 segmentation fault (core dumped)  ./vpaint-1-6-linux-64bit
Do you have any suggestions for what I could do to get it running?

Boris
Site Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi cameralibre!

Sorry for the super late reply! I'm not sure what can be wrong. :-/ I can investigate more next week.

In the meantime:

I don't think it's a dependency issue otherwise it should be more specific about the error (something like "shared library libQtCore.so.x.y not found").

Is your Kubuntu 16.04 properly installed on your machine, or is it running on a virtual machine? I've had OpenGL-related issues in the past when trying to run VPaint on a virtual machine.

I am not sure what are the steps that you followed to get the "GDB output" which you provided in your post, but unfortunately they are not enough to help me identify the problem. What would be super useful is to do the following in a terminal:

$ gdb /home/sam/vpaint/build-VPaint-Desktop-Debug/Gui/VPaint
[should print some info here]
(gdb) run
[should crash here]
(gdb) bt
[should print useful info here]
And then copy-paste directly in the forum the whole gdb session, which should look like this:

GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.10-1ubuntu2) 7.10
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from app...done.
(gdb) run                        
Starting program: /home/boris/Documents/vpaint-dev/build-vpaint-Desktop_Qt_5_6_0_GCC_64bit-Debug/src/app/app                                                
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]                                                                                                               
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".                                                                                  
[New Thread 0x7fffec319700 (LWP 2950)]                                                                                                                      

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.                                                                                                        
0x000000000041afdd in MainWindow::MainWindow (this=0x9acff0, parent=0x0) at ../../../../vpaint-core-rewrite/src/libs/VPaint/MainWindow.cpp:99               
99          int b = *a;                                                                                                                                     
(gdb) bt                                                                                                                                                    
#0  0x000000000041afdd in MainWindow::MainWindow (this=0x9acff0, parent=0x0) at ../../../../vpaint-core-rewrite/src/libs/VPaint/MainWindow.cpp:99           
#1  0x000000000041a390 in Application::Application (this=0x7fffffffde00, argc=@0x7fffffffddfc: 1, argv=0x7fffffffdf28)                                      
    at ../../../../vpaint-core-rewrite/src/libs/VPaint/Application.cpp:49                                                                                   
#2  0x000000000041a16c in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffdf28) at ../../../vpaint-core-rewrite/src/app/main.cpp:13                                            
Thank you! I definitely want to support Kubuntu 16.04, so I will make sure to fix whatever problem that might be.

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:14 am

Hi again!

I just made a fresh install of Kubuntu 16.04 64bit, and I was able to compile and run VPaint 1.6 without any trouble. After the install, here is the exhaustive list of things I have done:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/dalboris/vpaint.git
Download the online installer of Qt from qt.io (answering "open-source project" > "Willing to make code available" > "Comply to the LGPL" to their annoying questions)

chmod u+x qt-unified-linux-x64-2.0.3-online.run 
./qt-unified-linux-x64-2.0.3-online.run
Press "Next" as many times as necessary to get Qt 5.6 installed
Open vpaint/src/VPaint.pro with Qt Creator
Just hit OK when asked which Kit to choose (the default proposed: Desktop Qt 5.6.0 GCC 64bit)
Select "Release" in the Build selector in the bottom left of Qt Creator (was "Debug" by default)
Then hit Ctrl+B (compile)
And finally Ctrl+R (run), once compilation was finished.

This successfully opened VPaint. I didn't test exhaustively but it seemed to work as expected.

I attach here the compiled binary in case it's helpful. You can try to unzip it, then run:

chmod u+x vpaint-1.6-kubuntu-16.04-64bit
./vpaint-1.6-kubuntu-16.04-64bit
I hope that helps! :)
Attachments
vpaint-1.6-kubuntu-16.04-64bit.zip
(844.63 KiB) Downloaded 162 times