[feature request] winxp

Have an issue with VPaint or VGC software? Ask your question here.
kaver

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Do you have a version that will work on winxp?

Boris
Site Admin

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Kaver!

Have you tried the provided file? I have written (Windows 7, 8) because I've only tested on Windows 7 and I see no reasons it wouldn't work on Windows 8. But in fact, it is very likely that it works for Windows XP too. :-) Just try it and tell me whether it works or not. If yes, then I'll add XP in the list, otherwise we can try to troubleshoot and make it compatible.

kaver

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi Boris,
thanks for responding so quickly. Yes, that was the first thing I tried.I downloaded VPaint and installed first up. I assumed that maybe it should work. Vpaint appeared to install and then when I tried to run the program it came up with "Paint.exe is not a valid Win32 application." This did not sound good. I downloaded again and repeated the install. Same result. I did not uninstall first, if that is relevant.

I've looked at your papers etc. and I am pretty impressed with the presentation. I have lots of experience with using vector drawing progs. I have used Xara for choice for many years but like most commercial programs its not really cutting edge. Your program looks like it might be a great help in my long term interest of drawing maps, particularly of caves.

My system is pretty standard with Win XP. At some stage I'll change and hopefully go Win 9 if it lives up to the hype, but we'll see. In the meantime I am keen to do some work with Vpaint so if you can get it up on that os I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks, Erik

Boris
Site Admin

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Alright, thank you for the feedback, it is definitely helpful. After a quick search, it's apparently an issue with MSVC2012, the compiler that I'm using, which need specific options to support Windows XP. I copy-paste here relevant links for myself later.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1130 ... 1#14754251
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/ ... 20645.aspx

I'll let you know as soon as I have a fix, which is likely to come in 2-3 weeks, as I'm busy with something else right now.

Thx for your interest,
Boris

Boris
Site Admin

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 am

Actually, a proposed fix seemed quick enough to give it a shot right now, so I did. Can you try the following steps:

1. Uninstall VPaint
2. Download and install http://vpaint.org/debugbinaries/VPaint% ... 0Setup.msi
3. Run VPaint and tell me what happens?

If it works, hurray! :-) Otherwise, the fix would involve more digging and will have to wait a few more weeks.

[edit]I've fixed something else since I first wrote this post. Make sure to try with "VPaint 1.0-beta3 XP-fix2 Setup.msi" instead of "VPaint 1.0-beta3 XP-fix1 Setup.msi"[/edit]

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:52 am

No joy.
It came up with an "Entry Point Not Found" error message.

"The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll.

erik

kaver

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:08 am

fix2-setup came up with the same error message.

erik

Boris
Site Admin

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 am

Alright, thank you very much for testing and giving feedback. So unfortunately, it turns out that it's not an easy fix at all. I'll try to fix this eventually, but not in the near future (say, in the next few months). Sorry :-/

Cheers,
Boris

Technical details for me in the future: Apparently, my only two choices are:
1. Recompiling Qt 5.3.1 with the v110_xp toolset (time-consuming, and not even sure it would work http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/27448 )
2. Compiling with VS2010 instead of VS2012, but then I have to get rid of all the C++11 in my code. (even more time-consuming, but more likely to work)

kaver

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:45 am

Boris,
thanks for the time you've taken so far. Neither approach looks easy so I'll wait for you to have time to get at it.

BTW when I searched for VPaint early this morning there is another VPaint program which comes up with a serious amount of stuff on it. Potential or actual clash of names here.

I'll keep in touch.

cheers, Erik

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:01 am

kaver wrote:BTW when I searched for VPaint early this morning there is another VPaint program
Indeed, I realized this recently, but thx for letting me know. At first I thought there were no name clash since none vpaint.com, vpaint.net or vpaint.org were used (vpaint.com is for sale). Only recently I've actually googled VPaint. :-/ I did not take any decision yet with this additional information.