scribblemaniac's Gallery

Share your artwork with the community!
scribblemaniac

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:06 pm

I will be posting artwork that I've made with the help of VPaint here. Almost everything here will be mathematical in nature, or perhaps script-generated. Unless otherwise stated, all of my files that I post here are under public domain.

Let's start things off shall we. Here is a rotating Tesseract:
The .vec file for this animation is attached to this post.
Attachments
Tesseract.vec
(57.68 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Very cool, thx for sharing this and the files! It makes me think, I should post here the .vec files I used in the Siggraph video. There are in the GitHib repository, but here would probably be more visible.

Looking forward for more! Since you plan on scripting, don't hesitate to ask me questions on the file format if you need (you probably already figured it out, but just in case)

scribblemaniac

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:31 pm

I definitely think you should put the SIGGRAPH .vec files in the gallery; most people coming here wouldn't even look at the code.

Thank you for offering, I do actually have a question about the file format. What is the first number in curve attribute of edge elements for? Other than that, everything is pretty straightforward for now.

Here is a single object generated from an audio waveform (the music is Kevin Macleod's Exit the Premises):
This curve goes on for quite a while. Here is a cropped screenshot of a portion of it zoomed out:

Because it's all one object it is easily animated by moving it left or right.

Unfortunately I won't be releasing the .vec or code for this until vpaint is stable enough to handle this better. Right now it's really laggy, and there are some major ram issues when trying to render a sequence. Also there are a few bugs in my code with the timing being off.

I also made some asteroids. No, not the space rocks, these asteroids. Here is what they could look like after code generation (depending on the settings):
But wouldn't it be nice to play with the settings and modify it a bit?

You can get the code to generate these and other asteroid variants from this gist. The .vec files for both of the asteroids are attached to this post. Additionally I had to do some post-processing in GIMP to fill some of the spaces in the second image, so I have included the .xcf file as well.

I'll probably be taking a break from making things like this for a while now.
Attachments
VecAndXcfFiles.zip
This contains the .vec files for the asteroids and the .xcf file for the second asteroid. There appears to be a two attachment maximum so I had to zip them all together.
(94.98 KiB) Downloaded 806 times

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:40 am

Very nice tests, thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, you're right, there's definitely a lot of performance improvements that need to be done before VPaint can handle complex scene smoothly. :-/
What is the first number in curve attribute of edge elements for?
It is the "sampling size" ds. I represent the curve using a dense sampling, and whenever you sketch/sculpt a curve, it is resampled on the fly to make sure that the distance between two samples is never more than ds. See comment in src/VectorAnimationComplex/SculptCurve.h:

Code: Select all

* Sampling:
 *  users can set a sampling size ds. This means that the distance between two vertices will be
 *  at *most* ds, but it can be less. For instance, the method resample(ds) uses the values
 *  curve(i*ds) with curve(s) being linear by part. This can "cut corners".
 *  Invariant: after calling resample(), the distance between two consecutive sample is
 *                0 < epsilon() < d(pi,pi+1) < ds()

scribblemaniac

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks for the info, that makes sense!

scribblemaniac

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 am

I didn't intend on making another one this soon, but I stumbled upon this and I wanted to post it right away. I call it "Weave":

This is one of my many failures to make a ellipse/circle path for the SVG importer feature. I can assure you that the final result will be much more circular, but I do rather like this particular pattern.

The .vec file is attached to this post.
Attachments
Weave.vec
(94.27 KiB) Downloaded 680 times

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:02 am

Haha, it's nice when failures look that beautiful, not often the case ;-) Good luck following up on the importer! (on my side, still working full time on OpenVAC. It's taking way longer than expected, but will be a huge win in the long term at least for VPaint, and hopefully for the vector graphics and 2D animation community as a whole).

scribblemaniac

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:16 am

Thanks, despite these beautiful failures I would say that 'v1' of the svg importer is very near, as I am close to completing the path tag. After that it's just animation stuff I think. Keep up the good work on the OpenVAC, it's best to do it right the first time!

Here is another piece in the ellipse failure series. I did quite a bit more editing after the initial failure to get the faces looking all nice, but I love the result. It is entitled "Flower Garden":

The .vec file for this is attached to this post.
Attachments
FlowerGarden.vec
(119.55 KiB) Downloaded 692 times

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:15 pm

I love it! The colors make it super peaceful :)

scribblemaniac

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 am

I was inspired by 爪哇程序猿's animated Julia sets to create an animated fractal that actually uses VPaint. This is also as celebration of my 1 year anniversary (roughly) since I first found VPaint. I hope you enjoy my animated Koch Snowflake. It may be slow the first time because GIF compression isn't that good, but it should run faster after it loops.

This was generated almost completely with code which you can find at this gist. It even comes with a bit of documentation to help you understand the various parts of it. The output .vec file can also be found attached to this post in case programming is not your thing. You will need at least 1.6 and a decent computer to open this thing as there are over 15 thousand nodes in the .vec file. As usual, it's all public domain.
Attachments
ResultProc.vec
An animated Koch Snowflake in VPaint
(2.84 MiB) Downloaded 526 times