Vector library

Discuss here about anything that doesn't fit in the other sections.
thomas

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Hello again Boris!

For my thesis I'm going to move around control points of vector graphics using 3d motion data. I was wondering if using VPaint's source as my vector graphics layer would be a good idea? I've looked around the source code a bit, but I haven't gotten a clear idea of how easy it will be for me to directly control vertex positions of splines. Would this software support that kind of project? If so, what classes should I be familiarizing myself with?

Hope things are going well! Cheers to Sebastien if he's still there.
Thomas

Boris
Site Admin

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:04 am

Hi Thomas!

VPaint currently doesn't have very good support for splines unfortunately. It only has some limited Catmull-Rom support tailor-made for VPaint but not generic. Depending on what you need, it might be useful, but most likely I'd say it's not the best tool for your needs. Three years from now my response would be probably different, but as of now I think you'd better implement what you need yourself, or look at a library like Cairo.

But it depends on your actual needs. What are you looking for? Spline evaluation? Rendering? User interface?

Both Sebastien and I left Pixar 2 weeks ago ;)

Cheers!
Boris

thomas

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Sounds good! I think I'm going to prototype with cairocffi and then port over to c++ once things start to slow down. I mostly just need spline rasterization from a set of control points.

Good luck with whatever is next for you! It was a pleasure working with you.

Thomas

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 pm

cairocffi does sound like a good starting point for spline rasterization from a set of control point :)

Good luck!
Boris