VPaint vs Flash... or Others

Discuss here about anything that doesn't fit in the other sections.
madra

Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:35 pm

I've just come across VPaint via a link on Hacker News and it seems like an interesting project. However I'm having a bit of difficulty in working out what the end purpose is:

1: Is VPaint intended to replace Flash for vector animation?
2: Is VPaint intended to bring vector animation to the world of 3D?
3: Something else?

Boris
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:04 am

Hi madra,

The back story behind VPaint is that I wanted to create new technology to make hand-drawn 2D animation easier. I initially tried to tackle the very difficult problem of automatic inbetweening: given two 2d drawings, how to automatically generate inbetweens?

I didn't get to that yet (it's a very difficult problem, and I am also working on other projects), but my research on that topic resulted in VPaint, an application that proposes alternative methods to create vector animation, so yes, somehow a competitor of Flash. But I'm a researcher, not a software company. The intent of VPaint is not to "replace Flash", but to develop new technology that moves the field forward, and that hopefully will be implemented as well in Flash, ToonBoom, tvpaint, etc... to make the lifes of animators easier. That's why it's released open source.

That being said, if people love VPaint and it becomes standard, well, maybe it could replace Flash, who knows? It's just not the intent.

All I want is to see more great 2D movies!

mosca

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:57 pm

Hello!

First congratulations! The software is good!

Second , it seems it is only a search element does not intend to make improvements ?
I am encouraging and felt some difficulties , if possible improvements can come back with a list of requests !! : Lol :

Thank you

___________________________________ Original text _____________________________
Ola!

Primeiramente parabéns! O software esta bom!

Segundo, pelo visto ele é apenas um elemento de pesquisa, não pretende fazer melhorias?
Sou animador e senti algumas dificuldades, se for possível melhorias posso voltar com uma lista de pedidos!! :lol:

Obrigado

Boris
Site Admin

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 am

Hello mosca! Thank you for the message! Yes, please come back with many requests! Development is slow at the moment because I am busy complete my PhD degree, but turning VPaint into the best animation software is one of my highest goal in life, I won't stop development (ever) :)

_______ Portuguese - Google translate ______

Olá mosca ! Obrigado pela mensagem! Sim, por favor, volte com muitos pedidos! Desenvolvimento é lento no momento, porque estou ocupado completar meu grau de doutor , mas transformar VPaint para o melhor software de animação é um dos minha maior meta na vida, eu não vou parar de desenvolvimento ( sempre) :)

Boris
Site Admin

Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Thank you all!

thewanderingjack

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:47 am

Boris wrote:Thank you all!

HAHA no, thank YOU! This is a wonderful program, I cannot wait to see v2 (or even the next 1.x release... I'm on 1.6 now). Seriously the most exciting thing I've seen since a) I first used digital art program back in the early 90s (Corel Draw)... b) Blender.... this is truly innovative/freakin' mind blowin'! I sincerely believe this tool, once fully fleshed, can seriously change animation (especially when you consider the html canvas element and possibly exporting to it from vpaint!!!)

If you haven't already please set up a Kickstarter/Patreon/GoFundMe account... I am totally broke but I know I want to give you money (when I have some) to keep this alive, and I am sure folks with actual money would love to donate.

If there's any other kind of support you may need please let me know.

Boris
Site Admin

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 am

Thank you for the encouragement! You're already helping more than you think, since what I need most are people to remind me how important it is to keep this project going ;-) I am planning to start a crowdfunding campaign when the time is right, probably in about 18 months. In the meantime, I am finishing an unrelated project at Pixar (until October), then I will start working full time on VPaint and how to fund it. I will provide more information via the mailing list as soon as I have a clearer plan. Until then, just spread the word!