[WORKFLOW] Add tabs for handling many files.

Improve VPaint or VGC software by giving your feedback, reporting bugs, or suggesting new features.
lablanu

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:09 pm

I found that in the 3.5 version, if I draw a curve, open a file and undo, it reverts to the curve I had drawn before opening the file.
I'm not sure this is the best way to handle undos. Many editing programs use a tab system, where an opened file is opened in a new tab, instead of overwriting the already open tab. That way, you could continue drawing what was on the old tab, without mixing it with the opened file.
So what I'm proposing is adding a tab bar under the toolbar to keep track of different projects/files, in order to allow smoother workflow.

Sidenote: Having more developers who are familiar with the codebase would help with finding immediate solutions and implementing them. You said that unpublished work doesn't allow you to share the source, so I highly suggest you publish it as quickly as possible, as I am ready to help.

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi lablanu! Thx again for the feedback. However, I vote against the tabs ;-) (By "I vote against the tabs", I mean of course "there will not be tabs")

I really aim for VPaint to stay clean and minimal. Basically, Microsoft Paint doesn't have tab, so VPaint will not have tab ;-) (this reasoning is a gross approximation of course, and I will not blindly follow such a stupid rule, but it does give a guidance). But yes, the current handling of Open/Close/Undo is crappy and will be improved. If unsaved modifications, should ask for saving, then not allow to undo to a previous document. That being said, in the long term, a fork/extension/whatever of VPaint, targeting more advanced users, should definitely have tabs.

Concerning collaboration with other developers: it will not happen in the near future. The unpublished work is one (obvious and unarguable) reason why I do not share the code *for now*, but there are other reasons that I will not disclose. I know that you will find this very disappointing, and that it is not to the benefit of users in the very short term, but it is safer to assume that I will not open the code before at least a few years, if it ever happens. But I do take my decisions based on what I believe will be best for the users in the medium/long term. If at some point, open source appears to be the best solution, then I will not hesitate to go that route, but it is only one among many reasonable options.

lablanu

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Can I develop my own implementation of VGC, then?

Boris
Site Admin

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Of course, feel free to do so :-)

The knowledge is public, and I am against patents.